Blackout was a Digital Media 3rd year cross module, and we were tasked with creating a piece of visual media that represents an advert for a fictional company set 10 – 15 years in the future. We decided to create Blackout, a company that sells anything and everything as a parody of Amazon by normalising illegal and black-market items.
From a technical aspect, this project was made within Source Filmmaker (SFM) and uses the Kinect for Xbox 360 as a method for motion capture to reduce the necessity of keyframe animations since our group was comprised of gameplay programmers.
For my part of the project, I handled the technical development, implementation and staging of all the visual elements within SFM. This includes, the research and implementation of the Kinect as a motion capture tool, set design, staging motion for both actors and props, camera and lighting control, shot composition and leading mocap sessions.
Videos that show the technical milestones can all be found here.
This game was made from the existing IP of Super Trash Heroes, from Play West. As a team we were tasked with creating a game with an alternative genre to that of the original, a 2D side-scrolling beat ’em up, so we made a top down, 4 player, co-op game in the spirit of Left 4 Dead and Hotline Miami.
Utilising the existing assets, we made the enemies into playable characters with unique special attacks while keeping to the original theme of waste management through the collection of food and rubbish. The game also features a boss battle that was a way to round off the game and include a feature from the original game, in the form of a JCB Digger.
This was a team project where we were tasked with demaking a game in the style of the Atari 2600 and the game we demade was Overcooked. It features single and multiplayer modes and has many of the orignal game mechnics such as kitchen fires and multiple food orders.
As continued development on this commercial product, I was part of the team that handled the implementation and changes made to the existing power up systems.
Many changes were made to keep the balance fair, while making the game engaging and enjoyable. While working in a large cohort, I handled the design changes our group wanted to make and organized meetings between the other design managers to make sure there was fewer conflicting additions that would overlap.
Group management between the cohort used Scrum development to pull multiple team’s work together and work over any code conflicts. My internal group soon adopted an Agile approach, and we were able to efficiently and quickly develop the systems we wanted in place while granting additional time for testing and bug fixing.
This is an information-based card game, that is based on the theme of vaccination, developed in the style of games such as Guess Who? and Cluedo where there are many different styles of play to win.
Each player is given a symptom they must cure with one of the remedies listed on the card. Each round, one player is infected, and their symptom must be cured fully by all players. If a player fails to cure the infected, they then get that symptom for the following round and lose a point. Each round consists of 8 turns where players can either pick an item card or ask a yes/no question to another player, but that information is then public. Players gain points based on how many people they cure each round and can limit other players by trying to withhold information based on their buying habits.
The game itself had many iterative design choices such as the core gameplay, the balancing of difficulty and enabling 4 and 2 player mechanics.